Dirty gutters may seem like a simple problem, but they can lead to a total disaster for your home. Without gutters, your roof can't get rid of water from snowmelt or thunderstorms. Gutters also help to direct the water, ensuring that it doesn't end up inside your walls. Any debris that can obstruct your gutters could be setting you up to pay a very steep price.
As necessary as gutter cleaning is, there is still the question of how often this activity should be done. Cleaning your gutters too often is far from convenient. Is there a standard recommended cleaning frequency?
Maybe Twice a Year
According to many experts, gutters should be cleaned at least twice every year. However, it's important to note that this is only the minimum recommended cleaning frequency. A more accurate answer to this question is that it depends on your situation.
The recommended frequency of twice a year assumes certain ideal conditions that are not present in all homes. Therefore, although biannual gutter cleaning offers a good foundation from which to start, you should watch your gutter closely to see if it needs more frequent attention.
Factors that Demand More Frequent Gutter Cleaning
There are a number of factors that should tell you if you need to clean your gutters more frequently. These include the following:
- You have many tall trees near your house
- You have pine trees in your yard
- You live in an area that experiences strong winds that carry a lot of debris
- You find your gutters clogged by the time you do the cleaning
The presence of certain trees can be such a nightmare for gutters that some homeowners would rather bring them down. Pine trees, for instance, will shed their needles throughout the year.
How to Make Gutter Cleaning Easier
Gutter cleaning can be a challenging job, especially if you have to do it regularly. However, there are several ways that you can make the job easier for yourself, including the following:
- Work safely: If you're always in danger of falling off a ladder or worse, the job will always be difficult.
- Buy the right equipment: There are various tools that can make gutter cleaning easier, such as tools with telescopic handles.
- Hire a pro: Hiring a professional gutter service is the best way to make the job of cleaning your gutters easier for yourself. An expert will have all the right tools and safety gear ready so you won't have to worry about it.